I meditate. I burn candles. I drink green tea...............and still I want to smack someone.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Hiking in FlipFLops

Ok. I was supposed to post this the other day, but since I have other things to do now that I work, I didn't get a chance. I do need to make a point of it though. Especially because I"m slacking on my photography as well.

See. I'm glad I posted that last post. I lost my connection.

Anyhow. I went hiking this weekend and it was beautiful. My body is screaming at me now since I"m so outoffuckingshape, but here's to changing that *clink clink*.

What I don't get though, is WHY on earth would you climb a mountain in fucking flip flops? I'm no hardcore hiker. I'm barely a basic hiker. But I do know that I need excellent shoes, clothes that wick, and bottles of water. Even on a non-mountainous hike, at least that's what I do.

I even saw this chic wearing heeled boots. OMFG come on. I went to Amicalola Falls which is a local park. Well not local for me, about an hour and a half away (man I love being closer to the mountains). I'm trying to hit all the state parks and photograph them. I'm weird like that. My other goal is to hit all the zoos lists in the AZA and photograph those but that's kind of on hold since I was out of a job and cannot travel. Glad I hit the HOnolulu Zoo when I went to Hawaii, hate to have to go back there *eyeroll*.

Anyway, the park was awesome. My problem, and it is always a problem for me, is that I didn't go early enough. PHotographically speaking, light is of course better in the early morning and late evening. But mentally, people get on my nerves and there was just way too many people there in the afternoon. I should have gone a lot earlier, but at least I got some good time in before the crowds descended upon the park. Granted I know there is more awareness of the environment, conservation etc. (which to me is a crock because people should have been aware of this a loooooong time ago), but when hordes of people descend on such a lovely TRANQUIL place with their undisciplined children and dogs that shit on the trail and isn't picked up by the owner and out-of-towners that don't get out of the way, and many people who are discourteous on the trail, i.e. don't move over, don't let others by that are going faster then they are, etc.

Granted, I know they are there to enjoy the park too, but are they REALLY enjoying it? Maybe my type of enjoyment is very different. Yea that's it. I'm not really narcissistic. At least I don't think I am.

And I do like kids. I do. They are so fun and have no care in the world and see things with such an innocence that is lost as a grown up. But when they destroy property and get in other people's way, that causes my eye to twitch. Oh and throwing trash anywhere else besides a trash can? Don't get me started on that.

Anyway, I know now that I really do need to leave around 5am-ish to get there when the park opens. I would love to stay overnight, but I dare not do that alone. I would, but it's really not safe to do nowadays. I really do need to find a group to join soon. Since Springer MOuntain is the beginning (or end I guess depends on how you see it) of the Appalachian Trail, I know at least of the Sierra Club that does hikes etc. in this state.

It was a beautiful trip otherwise. I do have some photos, which are in post processing at the moment. I hope to show some during the photo group next week and get some feedback. I'm still so conservative when it comes to photographing even with digital. But I don't have the right equipment.....

Anyway, this connection is flipping on and flipping off so I will post this during the next "on" and work on my photos.

Have a great election day and great week!

4 comments:

kimmyk said...

i wish i lived near the mountains or the ocean. of course taking pics in the mountains is so much more than just open water. (if that makes sense?)

i'm glad to hear you're working again.

i've been takin my camera with me a lot more these days...you'll have to check out my pics on flickr when jamie and i went to hocking hills state park here. beautiful place!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64245870@N00/

glad to see you back!

ysfb said...

You're back! Now if I was a photographer, I'd apply at Playboy until I got hired.

Anthony said...

I don't know how women can stand to wear those stupid flip-flops. The noise of it banging against the heel is bad enough, but to not have it attached is just strange to me.

Firestarter5 said...

It needs to snow where you are.